Tuesday, October 21, 2008

So, I got into an interesting discussion the other day. I was telling the other person that I didn't really see why my husband and I would want to change our lives by growing up because we basically get to do whatever we want. Our philosophy has always been work hard, play harder and I don't really have any desire to grow up. Hence no children or real responsibility other than work or dogs.

This person I was talking to said that it is our duty as human beings to make a contribution to the world and that some day you do have to grow up otherwise, you will look back on your life and it won't have meant anything. While I am not sure I completely buy into that, I think he had a point. I think the moments I feel the most at peace and happy are when I have accomplished something that isn't all about treating myself. I get into this cycle where I reward myself for everything...if I have a bad day, I reward myself...if I have a good day, I reward myself. Things stop being as special if I am constantly rewarding myself.


It's been an ok day, time to go drink now...more whining later!!!

1 comment:

Jerri said...

He sort of has a point, but so do you!

It IS very rewarding to work for things (ANYTHING, doesn't have to be kids), to be generous, and to feel like you've made contributions to the 'world'.

BUT, if that's all you ever do, you'll be a great big huge martyr! I can't imagine that would feel very good!

I don't know that it's called 'growing up' - I think it's just doing things that make you feel good about yourself and sometimes over the span of your life, the things that make you feel good change. Although, I don't think I'll ever get over my love affair with those bouncy houses...

If you're happy, why would you change things? If you're starting to feel unhappy, maybe it's time to reevaluate.

Happy balance somewhere in the middle?